Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Chisai mono*: The Little Things.

I once came close to getting a tattoo of a Japanese origami paper crane on my rib cage (sorry Grandma and Papa). The symbol held a great deal of meaning to me, but mostly I just wanted a tattoo. As a rather fickle person I decided against it and remain tattoo-free.

Yesterday I had a horrible day at work. The kind of day where I understood Japanese "mental sick" leave, and why one of my favorite English teachers, at 52-years-old, is calling it quits come March. However, as I have learned, when there are lows, highs will inevitably follow.

My high came when a student approached me with a simple origami crane that he made from his lunch napkin. Although he laughed as he handed it to me, most likely because it basically was garbage, I took it as a peace offering on behalf of the entire student body.


A few hours later it got even better. A teacher asked me to choose a sticker from a special New Year's pack that she had just bought. After thoroughly looking over the selection, I chose this one.

She then took it from me and peeled away the top layer to reveal my fortune. Her face lit up as she told me that next year I will be very lucky. She said I got the best one.
It is working already, considering I got this in the mail today.

*I am not entirely sure that is how you say "little things" in Japanese.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

I must say that I do admire your restraint on the tattoo thing. :) I totally understand the bad day thing, mental breaks, and lesson planning. Happily, it is not always. There are certainly rewards to teaching, I promise. Just know that you have a family member that well understands your current job and is always happy to lend you a hand.