Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Hisashiburi: It's Been a While

Friday evening after a full week of work, Caitlin and I boarded the shinkansen (the fastest train in the world, found only in Japan) bound for Tokyo. About four hours later, consequentially smelling like smoke from our poor choice of seats, we left the country air behind us and stepped out into the wonderland that is Tokyo. It had been a while.

In actuality, I spent three days in Tokyo just months prior. Constrained by the day-long JET orientation meetings and my harsh bout of jet lag, I barely made it out of the hotel. I knew I would be back, so I allowed myself to succumb to the comfort of a bed, as opposed to forcing all-nighters and adventures upon my tired body.

Just as I suspected, things were different this time. Moments after checking into our hostel in an unfamiliar neighborhood, Caitlin and I left our sleeping roommates behind and ventured out in search of Karaoke. The man at the empty karaoke joint with bad teeth and worse braces spoke to us in English. He explained that for 830 Yen we could get an hour of singing but no drinks. Our agreement was followed by sober renditions of Ashley Simpson, Carly Simon, and Weezer. When the time ran out, we called it a night, headed back to the hostel, and drifted into sleep on the top bunks of relatively comfortable beds.

The following day was spent shopping, showing Caitlin around my old neighborhood, and catching up with my friends who never left the city. In Harajuku we observed a line that stretched for blocks leading to a brand new H&M. We briefly joined it, until the security guard pointed down the street to a sign that signified the beginning of the crowded wait. We opted for second hand stores instead.
After only a few purchases, we sat down for cake and wine at an outdoor cafe I had been to twice before. We talked about how we were lucky to have each other in Japan. I felt less alone in the big city sitting across from family. Everything seemed so different this time around.

The night continued as we ate dinner with old and new friends, won a carebear from an arcade, and boarded a bus to one of the greatest night clubs in Tokyo. Yurie, my friend who likes to watch movies and go to bed early, suggested that we go to Ageha, a guaranteed all-nighter. Yurie dropped off the dance floor around 2am, I lasted until 3:30, and Caitlin went all night. Yurie and I caught up on a stained couch next to a sleeping man. Our conversation was sporadically interrupted by drunk men mumbling in our direction, and once by Caitlin offering me a drink that some guy had bought her. As it neared dawn, we left the club in pursuit of first train. I hugged Yurie goodbye, making her promise to visit me in Shikoku.

Caitlin and I cuddled up with the carebear on the train ride back to my friend's classy apartment

where we were greeted by a view of Fuji from his hallway window.

Our final day consisted of a trip to a museum, browsing the streets of Shibuya, and eating an unexpectedly fancy dinner. After finding our impossible to find overnight bus back to the island, we melted into seats that allowed us a front row view of the city. I drifted into sleep as the outside lights faded into the distance. I realized that the city I once knew well felt distant and foreign to me. Eleven hours later, I woke up on familiar land. I left the bus feeling as if the previous days' events could have all been a dream. I was back in the inaka.

4 comments:

Caitlin said...

Caity comes through with the drinks.
Leah comes through with the care bear.

Joanie and Bill said...

Now I know about your trip. I can't wait to see Tokyo.

Rachael said...

I'm so glad that you are enjoying your trip/experience. It amuses me how little you seem to age physically, but your words sound so mature. When I first read a printout of your blog, I didn't even know it was you. It just tells me that we need to stay better in touch. BTW, Papa and Grandma are doing well, despite their constant routine of nightly Jeopardy. Oh, yeah... and I keep beating her at Boggle. I told her that I'm never going to top you. Love you!

Rachael said...

I'm so glad that you are enjoying your trip/experience. It amuses me how little you seem to age physically, but your words sound so mature. When I first read a printout of your blog, I didn't even know it was you. It just tells me that we need to stay better in touch. BTW, Papa and Grandma are doing well, despite their constant routine of nightly Jeopardy. Oh, yeah... and I keep beating her at Boggle. I told her that I'm never going to top you. Love you!